Somerset East Dutch Reformed Church
The Somerset East Dutch Reformed Church is the fourth oldest congregation of the Dutch Reformed Church in the Eastern Cape and the 15th oldest in the entire South African denomination. The congregation was founded in 1825 but construction of the first church only started in 1830. Construction of the second (and current) church building started in 1869 and it was dedicated in 1871 although construction wasn't completed yet. The church was declared a National Heritage Site in 1979.
The monument, in front of the church, is of Rev Jan Hendrik Hofmeyr. He served as the reverend of the church for over 40 years from 1867 until his death in 1908.